Thursday, September 01, 2011

My 2011 Films

My films for this year include:

  • The Artist (Michel Hazanavicius, France), shot in the style of the silent era in which it is set
  • Burning Man (Jonathan Teplitzky, Australia), starring Matthew Goode
  • Dark Horse (Todd Solondz, USA)
  • Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, USA), starring Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, and Bryan Cranston, won for best director this year at Cannes
  • Edwin Boyd (Nathan Morlando, Canada), with Scott Speedman as the eponymous bank robber
  • Elles (Malgoska Szumowska, France/Poland/Germany), continuing my Juliette Binoche streak at the festival of L' Heure d'été, Le Voyage du ballon rouge, Quelques jours en septembre, and Paris, je t'aime)
  • From Up on Poppy Hill (Goro Miyazaki, Japan), from the son of famed anime director Hayao Miyazaki, directing his father's screenplay
  • I'm Yours (Leonard Farlinger, Canada), starring Rossif Sutherland, of the famous acting Sutherlands
  • In Conversation with... Francis Ford Coppola
  • Killer Elite (Gary McKendry, USA/Australia); despite having De Niro, Statham, and Owen, really just going to see it for Yvonne Strahovski :-)
  • Melancholia (Lars von Trier, Denmark/Sweden/France/Germany), with Kirsten Dunst, best actress winner at Cannes this year
  • Page Eight (David Hare, UK), with fairly high-powered UK cast including Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, and Rachel Weisz among others
  • Pearl Jam Twenty (Cameron Crowe, USA), curious to see what Crowe has been up to since Elizabethtown (which I liked, btw)
  • Pina (Wim Wenders, Germany/France), 3-D tribute choreographer Pina Bausch; be interesting to see the use of 3-D here vs Wener Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams that I saw last year at TIFF)
  • The Raid (Gareth Evans, Indonesia), my Midnight Madness action pick for this year
  • Sleeping Beauty (Julia Leigh, Australia)
  • Smuggler (Katsuhito Ishii, Japan), my Midnight Madness action/comedy pick for this year
  • Sons of Norway (Jens Lien, Norway), my one Scandinavian movie this year, sounds like it should be entertaining
  • That Summer (Philippe Garrel, France/Italy/Switzerland)
  • Urbanized (Gary Hustwit, USA/UK), Hustwit's follow up to Objectified, which I saw a couple of years ago at the Hot Docs festival
Because of work commitments, I'm compressing my schedule this year, so I likely won't be heavily blogging or reviewing films this year. Might tweet anything I really enjoy (or especially hate).

0 comments:

My experiences at the Toronto International Film Festival. Note this blog is not affiliated with the Toronto International Film Festival Group or the festival itself.
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites