While the festival does not have films in a juried competition like Cannes, awards are given out in a few different areas:
- Best Canadian Short Film: Chris Chong Chan Fui's Pool.
- Citytv Award for Best Canadian First Feature Film: Stéphane Lafleur's Continental, un film sans fusil.
- Toronto-City Award for Best Canadian Feature Film: Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg.
- DIESEL Discovery Award, voted on by the festival press corps: Israel Cárdenas and Laura Amelia Guzmán's Cochochi.
- Artistic Innovation Award, for a film in the Visions program: Anahí Berneri's Encarnacion.
- Prize of the International Critics (FIPRESCI Prize): Rodrigo Plá's La Zona.
- Cadillac People's Choice Award, voted on by festival goers: David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises (which is now out in theatres). The first runner-up is Jason Reitman's Juno (an excellent film that I saw this year) and the second runner up is Phil Donahue and Ellen Spiro's Body of War.