The festival revealed the complete lineup of Mavericks presentations:
Mavericks consists of panel discussions about films and filmmaking. Previous ones I've attended included:
- Larry Charles and Bill Maher, talking about their film Religulous, that they were in the process of shooting. A bit of an irreverent look at religion, this film will be showing at this year's festival. http://tifftalk.blogspot.com/2007/09/religulous.html
- Nick Park, creator of Wallace and Gromit. At the time, he was talking about Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which was premiering that year at the festival: http://tifftalk.blogspot.com/2005/09/mavericks-nick-park.html
- Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter, talking about Carter's presidency, and the charitable and political work he has done since leaving office. This was tied to the premiere of Jonathan Demme's documentary about Carter, Man From Plains. http://tifftalk.blogspot.com/2007/09/everything-to-gain-conversation-with.html
This year at the festival, presentations include:
- In Conversation with Kathryn Bigelow: a discussion with the director of Near Dark, Point Break, Blue Steel, Strange Days, K-19: The Widowmaker, among others. Bigelow's latest film, The Hurt Locker, will be screening this year at the festival.
- The People Speak: a discussion with Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States, with Matt Damon, Chris Moore (who worked with Damon and Ben Affleck on Project Greenlight), and Josh Brolin.
- Picasso & Braque Go to the Movies: a talk on Arne Glimcher's film about the influence of film on Cubism, with artist Chuck Close and Julian Schnabel (who was at the festival last year with his film The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: http://tifftalk.blogspot.com/2007/09/le-scaphandre-et-le-papillon-diving.html)
- A Time to Stir: about the 1968 Columbia University strike (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_University_protests_of_1968), with three of the particpants.
You should be able to purchase tickets for these presentations by selecting them in the advanced lottery (if you have one of the ticket packages that allows you to participate), or by buying tickets starting September 3.