As of August 5, 2009, the following packages are sold out on the festival online box office:
- Day Package Lite
- Student Card for Friday, September 11
- Student Card for Saturday, September 12
- Student Card for Sunday, September 13
- Student Card for Friday, September 18
- Student Card for Saturday, September 19
- Visa Screening Room 2-Day Package
- Visa Screening Room Weekend Evening Package
- Visa Screening Room Mid-Festival Package
- Double Date Gala Package
- 10-ticket Package *
- Festival Package *
- Festival Package Lite *
- Day Package *
- Student Card for Monday, September 14 through to Thursday, September 17
- Sutton 2-Day Package
- Sutton 3-Day Package
- 6:00 PM Visa Screening Room Evening Package
- 9:00 PM Visa Screening Room Evening Package
- Visa Screening Room 3-Day Package
- City to City Package
- Wavelengths Package
- Midnight Madness Package
- Globetrotter Weekend/Evening Package
- Globetrotter Daytime Package
- Festival Experience Evening/Weekend Package
- Festival Experience Daytime Package
- Roy Thomson Hall Closing Night Film and Cocktail
Any of the available packages marked by a * above (the so-called You Choose packages) should be purchased before August 31 at 1:00 PM, as that is the cutoff for submitting orders for the Advance Order Process. All other packages (the Our Programmers Choose packages) can continue to be purchased at any time, since the festival pre-selects films for you.
You do not have to buy a ticket package. Single tickets go on sale as of 7:00 AM on September 4. At that point in time you will be able to purchase tickets for all screenings.
If you need help deciding how you should buy tickets, consider the following:
- The Our Programmers Choose packages are good if you want to see multiple films, but can't or don't want to go to the trouble of picking the films yourself.
- The Midnight Madness and Wavelengths packages are good if you are a fan of those particular types of films.
- The You Choose packages are good if you want to see multiple films and want to see specific ones, or just like the freedom to choose your own. These packages also potentially give you a better chance of seeing popular films, as you get to participate in the Advance Order Process. However, that process is not a guarantee that you will receive everything you ask for. Subsequent posts this month will explain how that process works in more detail.
- Buying tickets after September 4th is good if you just want to catch the odd film or two when you have the chance, or if you've never been to the festival before and just want to ease your way in.