Some quick reviews until I catch up on my sleep:
- Winds of September: nice drama about 7 high-school friends in Taiwan.
- Toronto Stories: four short films set in Toronto, loosely connected by a framing story. Combination of fun and touching stories, thought it did well showing the character and diversity of the city while not ignoring the dark spaces.
- Radio Love: not sure I bought the lead character's resolution to her early mid-life crisis.
- White Night Wedding: good drama with parallel storylines about a professor getting remarried on a small Icelandic island, and flashbacks to when he first arrived.
- Achilles and the Tortoise: significantly less surreal than Kitano's two preceeding films, Takeshis' and Glory to the Filmmaker. Interesting, but found it difficult to generate sympathy for the main character at times.
- The Sky Crawlers: reminiscent of director Oshii's other works, interesting world and story, but did find myself wishing for more scenes in the sky.
- The Real Shaolin: intriguing documentary about 4 different people training in Shaolin for various different reasons.
- What Doesn't Kill You: story is not anything we haven't seen before, although its origin in director/writer/actor Brian Goodman's real life elevates it a bit.
- All Around Us: interesting character drama about a young couple and their relationship, with parallel story in the husband's job as a courtroom sketch artist.